Saturday, August 25, 2007

Teaching experience

Teaching experience - Mobile, Permanent and Casual, Secondary and Casual Primary

I began teaching in 1979 as a "Reserve" Social Science teacher in Moree (equivalent to a Mobile nowadays). I taught at both Moree High and Courallie High.

Apart from learning the craft of teaching, and not being much older than many of my students, I was proud to be the teacher in charge of introducing the first Aboriginal Studies course at Courallie High.

Below: With students from Moree High (left); and Courallie High (right) - during Aboriginal Studies












In 1982 I was again a mobile, and spent approximately six months as Teacher-Librarian at Liverpool Boys High, and then was appointed permanently to Caringbah High, where I was Fed Rep, and a Councillor from Sutherland Teachers Association.

During 1986 I spent time as the recipient of the Teachers Federation Eric Pearson Study Grant looking at school libraries, and the role of school librarians in the United States. This helped inform a complete revamp of policy on school libraries after presentation of my report to Annual Conference in December 1986. As well, I spent a term as a relief Welfare Officer in Federation.

In January 1987 I transferred to Bankstown Girls High School, and took part in many Federation activities, as a Fed Rep, and various Association positions, and Councillor.




Left: In the library at Bankie Girls, and out on the streets demonstrating for public education, 25 July 1989.

Between 1991 and 1993 I took leave without pay, and spent a year teaching English in Istanbul, Turkey, and two years teaching Humanities (Social Science) and setting up a school library in England.

In 1994, I was back in NSW and on maternity leave, and teaching as a casual teacher at various schools, including primary library experience at Erskineville Public School, as well as day-to-day casual work at various schools, a block of library work at Condell Park High, and a block of Social Science (Geography, Economics and Commerce) at Birrong Girls High.

At the beginning of 1995 I was elected to a Research Officer position at Federation.

No comments: